2.13.2013

A hiding game





After my parents' two antique cats died within months of each other, my mom decided it was time for a brand new cat. This cat, she said, should be generously proportioned, for the purpose of covering a whole lap. Not just a part of a lap. And so, necessarily, the cat would also be the type to enjoy a lot of lap-sitting. With this brief shopping list, Mom went to the pound and returned home with Charley, who now spends a good part of each day sprawled across Mom's lap, or sort of slumped backward in the crook of Dad's arm, while reading on the couch. He also, you will notice, has a favorite, mustachio-print pillow, and he is so well camouflaged in front of it that you practically can't even see him!

4 comments:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Awww, Charley is adorable. Such a sweet face! I miss having a cat. We lost our 23 year-old orange tabby at the new year. I love the dogs, but somehow the house seems incomplete without a cat...

cadyn speziale said...

Is this the famous Maine coon??! I must meet him someday. I wish he could meet Phineas, they would make lots of trouble together.

Ellen Zachos said...

What a handsome boy. I miss my lap cat.

Zoe Tilley Poster said...

Yup, that's him, Cadyn. My mom asked the vet if he was the genuine article, and the vet replied "he is whatever you want him to be," which I thought was a good answer:) Clare and Ellen, I hope maybe there are new snuggly cats on the horizon for you?