2.27.2013

the Each Week, One Beast project: week 9


Cooper's hawk on a branch of Siberian elm. This week's beast is very dear to my heart. The Cooper's hawks of South Side have been my companions since we moved here. Most years, we find a nest early in the season - they are big and built of coarse sticks, constructed before the leaves come out, so pretty easy to spot. There have been years when things went awry and the eggs smashed on the ground, and years when we watched as many as four chicks go from cottonball stage to fully fledged, soaring the thermals above the city. Now is the time of year I look for a pair staking their claim to a scrappy little piece of Scranton woods...

Plus a bit of this and that: Prints of the first seven beasts are now available in my Etsy shop! And I'll have some work at the divine boutique Freedlove, 532 Spruce Street in Scranton, for March's First Friday, 6-9pm. I'll be hanging out there for the evening, or at least until I get very sleepy, and would love a visit. You might not recognize me, because just by osmosis, spending a couple hours in Freedlove will have made me fashionable. Or so I'm hoping.

3 comments:

cadyn speziale said...

Yay!!! Wish I could be there to see you and your work. Way to go!

Sarah Melling said...

Love, love love this series. Your style is so beautiful and distinctive. We get Cooper's hawks in our yard from time to time...much to the dismay of my hens!

la domestique said...

Love the hawk!